As a resident of Alaska for 34 years, I have lived with my husband Mark, and my daughter, Amelia in West Anchorage for 21 years. We have many pets and love Alaska’s snowy winters and breathtaking summers and typically enjoy the outdoors. I want our daughter to have the same opportunities to grasp hold of her dreams that I did. Many of those opportunities were inspired and made possible as an Alaskan.
I am an American of Puerto Rican heritage and an example of the American dream. I started school in Puerto Rico and learned English as a second language. My parents never finished high school and I was the first in my family to graduate from college. After eating a lot of macaroni and cheese, I obtained my law degree and later, my two master’s degrees.
My professional experiences are diverse and provide me with the legal and regulatory knowledge and skills that are needed to overcome the challenges Alaska faces. My experiences include being an Assistant Attorney General for the state of Alaska, commercial law litigator, and criminal prosecutor; Administrative Law Judge (Hearing Examiner); Attorney Advisor in the General Counsel’s Office and Comptroller of the Currency, US Department of Treasury; six years on the Board of Directors of Chugach Electric Association, four years on the Anchorage Equal Rights Commission and three years on the Anchorage Budget Advisory Commission.
The road hasn’t always been easy, but it has been worth it, and it has taught me to see challenges as opportunities. The great reward has been serving Alaskans.
I truly value the potential of our state and I hope to continue serving Alaskans.
Alaska State House Member 2015-2016
- Energy Committee Co Chair
- Health & Social Services Committee Vice Chair
- Education Committee Vice-Chair
- State Affairs Committee Member
- 13 bills sponsored, 2 written into law
- 20 amendments introduced addressing HSS reform, many incorporated into SB74
- General Counsel’s Office, US Department of Treasury
- General Counsel, US Comptroller of the Currency
- Alaska State Assistant Attorney General and Criminal Prosecutor
- Administrative Law Judge (Hearing Examiner), State of Alaska
- Quality Assurance Coordinator, Department of Health & Social Services
- Director and Board Chair, Chugach Electric Association
- Commissioner, Anchorage Budget Advisory Commission (3 Years)
- Commissioner and Chair, Anchorage Equal Rights Commission (4 Years, 2 as Chair)
Commissioner, Anchorage School Budget Advisory Commission (Later this Commission was merged with the Anchorage Budget Advisory Commission)
- Law Degree, The Cornell Law School
- MBA (Healthcare Services Administration), Alaska Pacific University
- MBA (Finance) Alaska Pacific University
- National Judicial College: Three National Certifications in Mediation, Dispute Resolution and Administrative Litigation
- Certification in Arbitration, National Judicial College
- NRECA (National Rural Electric Cooperative Association) – two certificates: Credentialed Board Director and Board Leadership